Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Palette


Recently a few people asked about my palette, so I decided it would be easier and more helpful to post a picture of it and a list of colors. This is my full palette--I don't always squeeze out all these colors if I don't think I'm going to use them all.

From lower left, clockwise:
Cadmium yellow light
Cadmium yellow deep
Cadmium orange
Cadmium red light (Gamblin)
Perylene red (Gamblin)
Permanent rose
Permanent alizarin crimson (Old Holland or Vasari)
Sap green
Chromium oxide green
Viridian or Pthalo green
Cerulean Blue
Pthalo blue
French ultramarine blue
Ultramarine violet
Ivory black

Around the center:
Yellow Ochre or raw siena
Raw umber light
Yellow Ochre half burnt (Old Holland)
Venetian red or transparet earth red
Burnt Siena
Burnt Umber (sometimes raw umber)

In the center:
Titanium White

I would gladly use any Vasari color, but I usually buy W&N because it is lower in price and I like the colors and consistency.

The warm colors are arranged along the left, the cool colors along the right. Warm and cool colors are arranged so that complementary colors are opposite each other on the palette. I make all grays using complementaries.